Saturday, February 14, 2009

Things I did today...

  • sleep
  • entirely too much internet
  • sleep some more
  • teach
  • eat candy
  • bake a brownie
  • clean. ish.
  • sing. a lot.
  • played the funeral march and giggled
  • almost get eaten by my neighbor's dog
  • watched The Butterfly Effect 2

I also walked by a pile of flower heads on the ground of various colors that looks like Valentine's Day exploded. It made me smile. I almost picked up one of the flowers to keep, just to say that I got flowers on Valentine's Day. But I didn't. If it's still there tomorrow and I remember, I might take a picture of it.

The movie slightly disappointed me. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but it bugged me so much that I kept thinking about it until I figured it out. First, the main character was much more selfish and shallow than the one in the original movie. Also, they removed the element of the blackouts which made everything entirely too obvious. Also, they stayed within a much shorter period of time that was being altered which made it not as... interesting. I was pretty grateful that it wasn't as disturbing as the first one to me, though- I ended up crying for hours when I saw the original and I almost made myself sick.

One other thing bugged me about the movie, just because it's one of those hidden assumptions that cultures make and permeates everything and controls our thinking but nobody really pays attention to it. When the guy had...ummm.... romantic encounters with two female characters, they were both blond. But when he messed with time and stuff, the first girlfriend was portrayed as cold, distant, and emotionally unattractive... and her hair had been dyed dark brown. Coincidence? I think not. Thanks Hollywood, for all of your anti-normal people propganda... because what we really needed was another reason to feel unbeautiful. Ugh.